In spite that I have not been using Nokia (and that I have turned into a die hard iPhoner), I’m privileged enough to be invited to the Nokia E7 “Sneak Peak” event on the 29th of March.
Nokia E7 Event Invitation
The E7 is the next generation communicator even though that it still runs on Symbian. Future Nokia smart phones will be powered with Windows Phone 7. The outcome is yet to see.
There is an issue with Ubuntu Netbook Remix (UNR), with Mic recording on Eee PC 1000H. The problem is with the “pulsaudio”. I will not go in deep details, but the fix is quite simple. All you have to do is remove the pulseaudio. To do this, open your terminal and run the following command.
sudo apt-get remove pulseaudio
This shouold do the trick. Cheers and good luck.
So, you installed Ubuntu Netbook Remix (UNR) on your Eee PC and got a Vodafone (or almost any) 3G modem?
You will not need to do anything extraordinary to get online using your 3G USB Modem.
In this example, I will show you how easy it is to get everything up and running. I am using a Vodafone – Egypt 3G USB Modem Stick (Huawei K3565).
Setting things up:
- Connect your 3G USB modem
- A wizard menu will appear which will guide you to setup a “New Mobile Broadband Connection. Click Forward.
- Automagically, the wizard is able to identify the Country, however, you will still need to identify the Provider. In this case, I will choose “Click Vodafone”, but it’s needless to state that you have to choose the Country and Provider according to your network.
Select the Country and Network
- There you go. Now it’s the last step in the setup. Just verify that you have selected the correct criteria, and enter a friendly name for the provider. In this case, I changed the name from “Click Vodafone” to just Vodafone. When finished, click Apply.
- With this final step, you have finished the setup for your Vodafone 3G USB modem.
Now getting online:
- Go to the Wifi/Network Icon on the top right of your screen (should be the same whether you are using the classic or netbook remix desktop). Click on it.
- Under Mobile Broadband, you will find the new Mobile Network which you just setup (in this case Vodafone). Click on it. It will now attempt to connect, if it fails just try again a couple of times, and it should get through.
Click on you Mobile Network provider
- Once connected, you will get a notification that a connection has been established.
- To disconnect, follow the same procedure as step 1. Afterwards, click on Disconnect.
I hope that you had a flawless experience setting your modem up as I did. If you have any issues, just drop a comment, and I will be more than happy to try to help.
Cheers, and enjoy!